The Communications and Engagement Specialist works under the direction and oversight of the Director of Community Engagement and Communications to develop, implement, and oversee communication material for identified constituencies. The specialist’s primary responsibilities are to facilitate communications efforts to promote positive public image among the project’s various audiences in targeted areas along the proposed SCMAGLEV route between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore City. The specialist will collaborate with the department director and business associates to coordinate external messaging, outreach efforts and community engagement events. This includes developing messaging and generating content for execution through multiple communication channels. The specialist will also provide administrative and support services as needed.
The primary duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serving as the primary point of contact for communities, civic organizations and business organizations in Anne Arundel County and parts of Prince George’s County
- Seeking and managing engagement opportunities within their zoned area of responsibility
- Working with consultants to coordinate outreach efforts within their zoned area of responsibility
- Assisting director in drafting press releases as needed
- Assisting director in drafting talking points for leaders as needed
- Developing and deploying strategic messaging, ensuring that all content produced adheres to corporate style and tone
- Providing assistance as needed with crisis communications
- In coordination with the department director, developing content and providing daily management of social media channels.
- Tracking bills and legislative action that may impact the project
- Working with the director community engagement and communications to drive public engagement with the legislature
Education, Experience and Qualifications/Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, English, Marketing or a related field.
- 3-5 years’ work experience preferably in communications, public relations, or marketing.
- Be proficient in written and spoken Spanish.
- Excellent copywriting and communication skills.
- Good organizational, planning, and coordination skills
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team
- Possess a sense of urgency; be self-motivated and detail-minded
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build collaborative relationships
- Proactive approach in resolving problems and issues
- Proven ability to successfully work with multiple individuals, handle multiple projects simultaneously, meet critical deadlines, and re-prioritize as needed.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multifaceted demands.
- Flexibility to attend occasional evening and/or weekend meetings and/or events
- Competitive Salary
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Long/Short Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) Plan with Employer Match
- Paid Parking
- Paid Leave
- Fun, Passionate, and Skilled Co-Workers