The successful media relations manager candidate would work with the marketing communications and public outreach teams to develop and execute on a strategy to build brand awareness and positive image. The manager’s primary responsibilities are building and maintaining positive relationships with local and regional media outlets to secure favorable coverage of the project. The employee will be very directly involved in the day-to-day understanding of the project and current status to seek out new story ideas to pitch to the press. The employee will collaborate with key staff members to achieve proper coordination of messages, and the highest standards for external communications.
Position Requirements / Duties
- Set up a robust media monitoring and outreach system and strategy (using a vendor such as Cision or Meltwater)
- Coordination with appropriate staff and provide oversight on all public relations activities, including press conferences, press kit mailings, press release mailings and all media follow up with story pitches
- Media Briefings (quarterly)
- Targeted Op-eds (1 per quarter)
- Targeted LTEs (At least 2 per quarter)
- Identify third-party signatories with help from TB, draft & submit
- Proactive Pitching (3 stories per quarter)
- Respond in a timely fashion to all media requests
- Coordinate federal or national media outreach with Burson, Cohn and Wolfe
- Media Relations Support for events
- Media Advisory
- Press Release
- Press Management
- Media Relations Skills Evaluation and Training for staff
- Paid Traditional Advertising in Targeted Publications
- Strategic Planning and Coordination with Marketing and Communications Team
- Media coverage reporting as-needed
- Update the website with relevant news stories and press releases
- Assist with big-picture strategic marketing and communications work for the project
Experience Required / Recommended
- 5+ years work experience, preferably in communications, public relations or media.
- Attention to detail and thoroughness of work is essential.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multifaceted demands.
- Experience with preparation of press releases, internet, website and social media.
- Experience with a PR platform such as Cision, Vocus or Meltwater.
- Proven ability to successfully work with multiple individuals, handle multiple projects and meet critical deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal skills. Creative thinker and problem-solving skills.
- Results-oriented and a passion for creativity.
- Understanding of and relationships with the local and regional media landscape is preferable.
- Flexibility to attend occasional evening and or weekend meetings and/or events.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, English, Marketing, Advertising, or a related field
- Competitive Salary
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Long/Short Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) Plan with Employer Match
- Paid Parking
- Paid Leave
- Fun, Passionate, and Skilled Co-Workers